PN, COVID-19 and the Vaccine
On April 1, the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy (FPN) hosted an educational program for PN patients on the latest updates about COVID-19 and the vaccine as it relates to the neuropathy patient population. Featuring Dr. Shanna Patterson, some very valuable information was learned that we wanted to make sure you and your loved ones see.
Here are some of the important takeaways on the COVID-19 vaccine and virus from the webinar:
- Unless you have had a true serious allergic reaction to any prior vaccine or your healthcare provider has suggested otherwise, PN patients are encouraged to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Anecdotal reports of worsening of PN symptoms after the vaccine may occur for a small percentage of the population, but will likely only be a temporary side effect of the vaccine. Please consult your primary care physician or neurologist if you have any questions or concerns regarding the COVID-19 vaccine and any heightened symptoms.
- The best vaccine brand for PN patients is the one you can get soonest. All brands have been shown to be extremely effective against hospitalization due to severe COVID-19. There is no evidence that one is better for PN patients than another.
- For those patients undergoing intravenous immunoglobulin treatments (IVIG), there is no information concerning the timing of your treatments and receiving the vaccine. No interruptions with your treatment plan should be necessary, though all patients are encouraged to consult with their PCP to discuss further.
- For those who can’t schedule the second vaccine dose in the appropriate time frame, please do your best. If not, get the second dose as soon as you are able.
- If you are a PN patient who contracts the COVID-19 virus (or a COVID-19 patient who develops PN), please talk to your neurologist; don’t try to battle this on your own. Specifically, ask your neurologist if anti-inflammatory vitamins, neuropathic pain meds and/or steroids might be helpful for short term relief.
To watch this program about Managing your PN Amidst a Pandemic, please click here.
The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy provides education and support today as we walk toward a cure for tomorrow.
Support us in advancing a cure!
FPN is a non-profit organization that is solely funded by our readers.