Traveling with Peripheral Neuropathy
A peripheral neuropathy diagnosis does not need to mean you put an end to traveling. While traveling with peripheral neuropathy presents challenges, you can still follow your dreams to see the world.
FPN has pulled together some tips from experts to help you plan that next vacation.
- Plan ahead: There is no such thing as too much planning or too far in advance. Most accommodations you will need will take time to arrange and need to be booked in advance
- Be realistic about your expectations: You may not be able to see everything but make sure you see the things most important to you.
- Learn enough foreign vocabulary to be able to describe your situation and your needs.
- Airlines, trains, cruises all will accommodate travelers with disabilities with advance notice.
- Find accessible forms of transportation, whether it is metros, Ubers, or taxis, to make getting around your destination easier. Again, know your options in advance.
- Check out the most accessible routes to the sites you want to see. There may be easier ways to get from one place to another that may make all the difference in your trip.
- Most hotels will have accessible rooms. Again, advance booking is required.
- To look after your health while you are away, make sure your health insurance will cover you while traveling or purchase travel insurance that includes coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- Check that your medication is permitted in your travel destination. Carry what you need, and make sure you bring copies of prescriptions with you.
- You can find information about accessible transportation, tour routes, wheelchair and scooter rentals and other information from organizations that focus on people with disabilities in your destination country or city.
- More and more tour agencies are focusing on travel for people with disabilities. You can find some in our website post , or by doing an internet search on accessible travel to your destination.
You can find more tips and recommendations in our latest website post here .
Please let us know of your travel experiences, and what suggestions you have so we can share your advice.
And enjoy your trip!